I don’t know what the hell this drink is, you guys. All I know is it tastes good and it has tequila in it. I feel like I’m an outlier here, but I LOVE tequila. It’s my favorite liquor, despite the fact that I have the word “whisky” in my blog name. Feelin’ Tequila doesn’t have quite the same ring to it. Oh, well.
This cocktail was inspired by one of my regular customers at the last restaurant I served at. He and his husband would come in and order a single appetizer followed by TONS of top-shelf drinks. One would get a vesper (shaken, not stirred), and the other would get a cosmopolitan with top-shelf tequila instead of vodka. Double. I was like, man, this dude is really living his best life.
And then last week I had this really good pomegranate and everything just clicked. Shortly thereafter, this drink was born. I use POM pomegranate juice and it is DELICIOUS. Srsly. These bad boys go down a little too easily, thanks to the combo of juices. It’s like a cosmopolitan and a margarita had a dark, brooding lovechild, and I am SO TOTALLY here for it.
So now, here I am, at 3:42 p.m., drinking a cocktail at my kitchen counter. The lighting was really good and I made this drink to photograph it, but for those of you who don’t know, it is literally illegal to pour alcohol down the drain. So I’m drinking it. There was no other option.
Happy happy hour, friends! Bottoms up!
- 1 1/2 oz tequila
- 3/4 oz orange liqueur (Triple Sec, Cointreau, etc.)
- 1/2 oz freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2–3 oz pomegranate juice
- Orange or lime twist, for garnish
- Combine tequila, orange liqueur, lime juice, pomegranate juice, and ice in a cocktail shaker. Shake for 30 seconds, or until shaker is frosty. Strain into a chilled glass and garnish with a citrus twist.
- Also delicious with regular cranberry juice instead of pomegranate juice!